Sunday, March 23, 2014

Newlyweds and Budgeting

Before getting married, I was maybe a bit of a spender. If you know me well you are already laughing. I can spend money faster than someone who stole a credit card. It's a skill we can discuss at a later time. However, I knew where the line was and I didn't spend over that line.
Once, my work allowed us all to take the Financial Peace classes (Dave Ramsey. If you haven't heard of him stop reading and call me. It's some good shiz my people.) Therefore, I'm not financially stupid. One of my favorite things was having and being an "accountability partner". I would talk to my close friend if I was unsure about a big purchase. If something good happened (paying off a debt, not buying an expensive purse) it was called a "personal victory". We would shout and cheer it to one another all day long, mostly to be dorks, but it was fun and motivational too!
So, blog friends welcome to being an accountability partner!
After getting married, Case and I made some big mistakes. We had separate accounts, but made weird transfers to each others accounts all the time. I literally just ordered a card for our joint account.  Which is dumb because 1. It's where the money is and 2. We've been married for over a year. It was complete laziness. On a positive note, I got the picture card so it's absolutely adorbs.
Another big thing we need to start working on is having goals. I have a bad habit: I have the money so let's just buy it. It can be anything from clothes, to a new washer to a down payment on a new vehicle. While that is nice, we don't need to be depleting our savings. We need to be saving up for the big things we want. That's what will give them value. If I have to work for it I'll really want it and I'll take care of it. I need to stop being so impulsive.

Did anyone else feel like money communication was lacking when they first got married? I married an accountant and I still feel that way. We weren't being stupid we just didn't want to hurt the other person's feelings or hold off on purchases. Money should not be a taboo subject. While we don't need to talk dollars and cents, it's helpful for me to know I'm not the only one feeling this way. I love people sharing their ways on pinterest, I love finding new ideas. It's helpful for me! My goal is to one day become a couponer and donate to a charity around me. I like people sharing tips on how they made that happen. It's awesome!

Moral of the story: I may occasionally talk about money. If it makes you feel uncomf, skip to the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Not uncomfortable at all. Love it!
    I talk about babies coming out of.. and how it hurts. ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete